Tuesday, June 30, 2020

100+ Don Mattingly Cards

Don Mattingly has always been one of my favorite players. I've talked about that several times on my blog. Most of my player collections though are just a cumulation of cards pulled from packs and more recently adding cards from dime boxes. So for me to accumulate 100+ cards of some of my player collections is quite the accomplishment for me.

The stack of cards on my desk that had some Mattingly cards yielded 6 cards, 5 of which ended up being new to my collection. The only dup was the Heritage card at the bottom.


My favorite of the 5 cards I added to the binder is the Triple Play card. I know Triple Play has always been a low end brand and I'm not a fan of the Panini reboot, but I really like the look of the early Triple Play cards, especially black borders of the 1993 cards.

While adding these 5 cards to my binder I realized that I now have 111 Mattingly cards in the binder. I've got a few rookie cards in other places and an autograph, so I'm probably around 115 unique Don Mattingly cards. 9 year old Daniel would think my collection is amazing. 38 year old Daniel, still thinks it's pretty cool.

What are your thoughts on the early Triple Play cards? Love um or hate um?

5 comments:

  1. Although I enjoy other entry level brands like Topps Kids, Topps Big, Collector's Choice, and UD Fun Packs... I'm not the biggest fan of the Donruss Triple Play cards. But there are a few singles that I treasure... like the San Diego Chicken card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that year of Triple Play. Wasn't around to buy them out of pack or anything, but I like the design a lot. It's like 1971 meets Skybox Impact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually really like the design of 94 Triple Play. And some of the quirky randomness of 92.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, 111 Mattinglys! He was my favorite player in the late 80s/early 90s as a kid and I have a little collection of his, but haven't broken the hundred card mark!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh early Triple Play was quite fun. Simple design, yes, but way better than the reboot. Congrats on 100+ Mattingly's!

    ReplyDelete