Thursday, July 15, 2021

I was "lucky" to find these 1951 Bowman cards!

I saw a card on Twitter the other day and I instantly wanted it, so when I went to the card shop this past Saturday I asked to look through their stack of 1951 Bowman commons and I found it. I also found a few others that I happily added to my collection.

These are all cards I didn't even look at when I got the Ralph Branca and Bobby Thompson 1951 Bowman cards a week or so ago.

Virgil "Fire" Trucks - Great nickname and great autograph signer through the mail. Passed away a few years back.



Vic Raschi - Under appreciated pitcher. Check out his stats.



Johnny Pesky - Lost a couple prime years due to WWII, but was a .307 lifetime hitter over 10 seasons.



Jack "Lucky" Lohrke - Check out the back of the card to see why his nickname was lucky. This was the card I saw on Twitter that made me dig through the stack of 1951 Bowman cards.



Eddie Waitkus - Not so lucky. He was shot by a female stalker and is who that part of the Natural is loosely based on.



 I really love the 1951 and 1952 Bowman cards. No stats, but the write up on the backs are fantastic.

Tell me something you know about one of the players featured here that I didn't mention.

5 comments:

  1. Don't know much, but I hear that Pesky guy has his own pole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are absolutely phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that the Waitkus doesn't mention him getting shot. His 50B does as well as 52T and 55B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Trucks is a great card. Nice pickups!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on finding these in a commons stack. Pesky has the honor of being known as Mr. Red Sox.

    ReplyDelete