Thursday, December 29, 2016

A question about 2001 Topps

A week or so ago I posted about how I recently decided to try to collect the Topps set from 1981 (the year I was born) - current. Dennis, of the blog Too Many Verlanders, commented that he had an extra 2001 set that he'd send my way if I wanted. Thank you very much Dennis!

A short while later a large box arrived in my mailbox with the 2001 set, some D-Backs cards, and a 1998 Pinnacle Inside Arizona Diamondbacks can. For some reason my phone doesn't want to let me email the photo of the can to myself so I don't have a picture of it, but it's awesome and will be used for pencils, pens, etc. on my desk.

Here are a few of the D-Backs cards that Dennis sent.

Dennis sent two Goldschmidt cards and this 2016 Donruss Paul Goldschmidt was new to my collection!


Here are a couple of Dan Haren cards. Haren was recently hired by the D-Backs as a special pitching assistant.



Love this 2016 Topps Nick Ahmed card. Ahmed is a whiz with the glove.


Here's a 2010 Donruss Elite Extra Edition autograph of pitcher Robby Rowland. Roland is no longer part of the D-backs organization, but is doing fairly well in the St. Louis Cardinals minor league organization.


The 2001 Topps set is a great looking set. Check out this Jeff Bagwell. My grandparent's last name is Bagwell, so I was always drawn to Jeff Bagwell as a kid even though there isn't any known relation.


Many of the cards are stuck together though and so when I separate them it damages the cards. You can see the white specs on the Brad Fullmer card below. 


Anyone have any suggestions on separating the cards with as little damage as possible?

8 comments:

  1. Aw man, sorry a bunch were stuck together like that. I'd had them sitting in a box for a long time and didn't realize they were that bad! I do remember that being a bit of a glossy/sticky surface, though. I wonder if my own set is like that now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. It's not your fault. I'm hoping to be able to get most of them out unscathed.

      Delete
  2. I like when Haren said he was going to help everyone out with Twitter too. He is by far one of the best athletes to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw that as well about Twitter. Maybe he can convince Goldschmidt to get on Twitter, but I doubt it.

      Delete
  3. I built the 2001 Topps set back in the day and then got out of collecting again. When I came back to the hobby in 2009 I was bummed to find mine where stuck together as well.
    I don't know if it's the coating or what, but I couldn't find a good way to separate them.
    Makes me wonder what type of condition the cards of a never previously opened factory set would look like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a total bummer. Reminds me of some of my 1991 Stadium Club cards I had. Ended up tossing them, because they were so bad. Hope you find a safe way to separate them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some Topps 2000 cards and they all stuck together - Bad coating on the cards. Try to pull apart as slowly as possible

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read the other day on a collecting forum that putting them in the freezer does the trick. I've never tried that myself but worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete