Sunday, July 31, 2022

Offer Up Purchase

Last week I saw an OfferUp post that had a bunch of boxes of cards for a reasonable price. I reached out right away, but I didn't hear back. A few days later I reached out again to see if they were available. He responded that he had a bunch of people inquire, but they never followed up. I didn't see the message until the next day, but made arrangements for an early Saturday morning pickup. 


As you can see, the seller mentioned that they are mostly commons. The part that is missing says "great for completing or starting sets". So I wasn't expecting any hidden gems, but I was certainly intrigued. The newer looking boxes are what caught my eye. I've been organizing my collection recently and thought they could come in handy. Now, unless they are empty, they don't exactly do me any good, but that's okay.

I did negotiate a lower price just because the seller lived a ways away. I ended up getting everything for $30. I was comfortable at that price even with the expectation that they are mostly commons. 


There was a little more than was pictured. Not much, but the was a couple of things. I don't believe the USPS box and the 1991 Score set and one other tin with a Collector's Choice Update set were in the pictures. This is what the collection looks like in my trunk. Not a bad haul. I went through everything briefly. Basically just opened up each box to get an idea of what was inside. There were a few boxes of football cards. There was a bunch of 1979 and 1980 Topps football cards and some other junk wax football cards. There was also a bunch of 1993-94 Fleer basketball cards. These will go to my football/basketball guy that I met through OfferUp. At this point, I think of him as a friend. 

The rest was baseball. There is a bunch of 1980 Topps baseball. Enough that I will probably start that set. Right now, I am just doing 1981 - present as well as a few other vintage sets (1970, 1971, and 1973). There are several boxes of 1985 - 87 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer. The other boxes are by brand. So one box with Bowman cards from various Bowman brands and years. Another with Upper Deck. Another with Pacific cards. These are going to be perfect for my goal of having a 9 pocket page of each card se. I know that might seem like a crazy idea, because it is, but it's fun to look at each brand and how they progress year over year. This collection has a lot of brands that I know I don't have already, so that is a huge plus.

It's going to take some time to go through everything and complete organizing my collection, but it will also be a ton of fun.

11 comments:

  1. This is great - love these purchases. For $30 can't go wrong, then you can probably sell back the bulk you don't need and make most of that back. I recently bought a big box from a guy for $40 through Facebook market. Since I'm reliable, he has since offered me two more on two separate occasions...so a lot can be said for showing up and not being a flake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun, although I'm at a stage where I'd probably pass on a whole bunch of cards that I know I have already or are from a period that doesn't interest me. ... However, if you have spare '79 football I'm interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Five years ago, I would have been all over a purchase like this. These days I'd pass. I just don't have the space. In fact my buddy just gave me a collection of about 15k cards that I'll be dropping off at Goodwill at some point. The only reason I took it was because it was free and I was hoping to find some newer stars for the upcoming card show this weekend (I didn't).

    Have fun going through these boxes. That's part of the entertainment and value of the purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lot of work to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you are going to have some fun. I look forward to future posts if you come across some exciting cards to share with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be interested in the 1980 Topps football cards. Years ago I started a set and have no idea what I need right now but it could be good to add to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great deal! Contgrats and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems like a good deal. I'll await a highlights post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great deal and looks like a lot of fun. I check out offerup once in a long while but never see anything good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got 'em. Thanks.
    I'd been chasing that Fisk DK for an unreasonably long time. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those kind of purchases can be surprising sometimes

    ReplyDelete