Thursday, October 19, 2023

TTM Fuel - 1973 Topps

Back in late September I purchased a two card lot off of X (formerly Twitter) during a weekly vintage baseball card thread. 

I spent $4 shipped on these two 1973 cards. I already have them both, but I have big plans for one of them.

First up is this Steve Garvey card. Wait it says Steve Garvey on the card, but we can plainly see the back of the jersey says Parker. Oh, the player that Parker (Wes Parker) is in front of is indeed Steve Garvey. Between Parker and the shadow, you can't really make out much of Garvey's face at all.


This card is a prime example of the "unique" photography that Topps used in the 1973 set.

I actually love this card though. It's a different shot that you don't see all that often and certainly didn't see if much before this card was produced in 1973. 

We also get to see Garvey approaching home plate after a home run and him being congratulated by his teammate Wes Parker. 

I am a big Wes Parker fan. He has a tremendous story and was an excellent fielder. I won't give away too much on this post because I know I have blogged about him before. 

You can also notice that this card lists Steve Garvey's position as 3rd Base. When you think of Garvey you probably think of him as a 1st baseman. Wes Parker played 1st base and as I mentioned, he was quite the defensive first baseman, so Garvey didn't take over first base until Parker retired, which was actually after the 1972 season. So by the time this card was making its way into the hands of baseball card collectors in 1973, Garvey had actually taken over for Parker at first base.

But the Garvey card was not the reason I bought the lot. I bought it for this card. A 1973 Topps Rich "Goose" Gossage rookie card. 


The front of the card is not in great shape, but it's not too bad. The back of the card has some staining, like it may have been glued, but there isn't any paper loss, so it's not too bad either. A couple bucks for a vintage Hall of Fame rookie card is going to get my attention 7 days a week!


I already have the card, but at this price, again just $4 shipped for the two cards, I pulled the trigger so I can send this card to Goose to get signed TTM (Through The Mail). I try not to send cards TTM that I would be devastated if it didn't come back or came back damaged. This card is perfect because it's already damaged and it only cost me a couple bucks.

I'll keep you all posted when I get it back signed (fingers crossed).

Come to think of it, Garvey also signs TTM. I just might send his card out as well. 

Do you collect autographs TTM? Have you ever gotten back Gossage or Garvey? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. It's too bad that you couldn't get both Garvey and Parker to sign that first card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see many a post from folks who get cards signed TTM. Part of me wants to try it eventually. Good luck with the requests!

    ReplyDelete