Sunday, October 18, 2009

Doger Blue for Diamondback... Pink? Trade with Night Owl

I recently sent some Dodgers cards to Greg of Night Owl Cards and he returned the favor by sending me some Diamondbacks cards. As I was going through the cards to see which cards I would scan and post, I noticed a theme among several of the cards.





All of these cards feature players wearing pink to support the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation, in its efforts to find a cure for breast cancer. For the past several seasons, on Mother's Day, Major League Baseball players have used pink bats and worn pink wristbands and the symbolic pink ribbon to support breast cancer awareness. I found it interesting that 5 of the Diamondback cards that Night Owl sent featured players wearing pink. Thanks Night Owl!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another card that Night Owl sent got me thinking about Upper Deck and how it will respond to Topps having exclusive rights to team logos and trademarks starting next year. Take a look at the card below. It is a 2009 Bowman Justin Upton card. I think Upper Deck could produce a card similar to this next year and be in compliance. Is it the greatest photo ever? No. Would I want a whole set of cards featuring players backs? No. But I think that Upper Deck can get creative and produce decent cards in 2010. I just don't want a bunch of cards that have obviously been photo shopped. Good luck Upper Deck!

2 comments:

  1. Upper Deck must've had their cameras working on Mother's Day. I never realized so many of the Arizona players were wearing pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought it was pretty interesting. There are cards from 2008 and 2009 but they are all Upper Deck brands. Thanks again for the cards! I'll have another package headed your way this week to fill some of your set needs.

    ReplyDelete