Wednesday, August 1, 2018

The Worst of the Best

In the last two weeks I've picked up a a few packs of 2018 Topps Series II. On two occasions I've bought 3 packs from a card shop (two different card shops). Each time I've gotten a "hit", although the "hits" haven't been all that great.

First up is this red relic card numbered to 25 which, if I'm reading the odds correctly, are a 1:5,232. The problem is that it's of Sonny Gray, who is having a terrible year. To make matters worse, the one color patch fills 99.9% of the space and you can barely even tell it's a patch.


In my second purchase of three packs I defied the odds once again and pulled a 1983 Topps Baseball auto at the odds of 1:1,233 packs. Another nice pull, but I've never hear of Tomas Nido. After a little research I see that Nido made his major league debut earlier this year, so we'll see how it goes.


Don't get me wrong, it was fun to pull some hits out of a couple random packs, but for me the experience of pulling them is worth more than the cards will probably ever be.

How about you, what's your worst, best pull?

4 comments:

  1. Man, I think we've all had those pulls of rookie players you've never heard of and never make it. My best pull was a Darvish auto from Archives during his rookie year. I don't often flip cards, but it's hard not to when it doesn't belong in your collection and it can pay for another box.

    As far as your two hits go... congrats on beating the odds twice! Although, I have a sneaky feeling that you may have a nicer hit land in your mailbox this afternoon. Just sayin'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were absolutely right about a nicer hit landing in my mailbox! Thank you so much Tom!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the pulls! Even though they may not be great pulls, I'm always excited to get an auto or memorabilia card from a pack. My best pull wasn't even my doing...my boys each gave me a pack of flagship for my birthday (one from Series 1 and one from Series 2). The Series 1 pack happened to have a Buster Posey bat card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My worst, best pull would have to be a 1998 Donruss Significant Signatures autograph of Stan Musial that was crimped at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete