Tuesday, December 8, 2020

1966 Topps Pete Rose

I picked up that sheet of Pete Rose cards on a whim a few weeks back, but it got me thinking about how many great cards Rose has and how I don't have very many of them. So this past Saturday, I picked up a couple more vintage Rose cards for my collection.

Let's take a look at this 1966 Topps card that I picked up this past Saturday. This card features a clean-cut Rose heading into his fourth season of major league ball. 


The name plate has some printing issues and I could have picked up a different copy of this card for half the price of this one, but while it didn't have the printing flaws that this card does, it has multiple creases, so I choose this version. It set me back $24. I put it in the magnetic.


The card back refers to "Hustling Pete" and the cartoon illustrates Pete winning the Rookie of the Year award in 1963. This is my earliest Pete Rose card in my collection.

I know Rose card be a polarizing player, so if you collect Rose cards, what is your oldest Rose card in your collection? Anyone out there have his rookie card?

5 comments:

  1. I got mine in a lot and it came out to about a quarter a card. HEAVILY trashed though. That's what fits my budget :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Not sure. I'd have to go through my vintage and check. Off the top of my head, I'd guess the 1968 Topps Game card, but if we're talking base cards... maybe his 1972 Topps card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got his 2nd-year card for the '64 Topps setbuild I'm working on. I've got his '65 too in that set. But no '66. Congrats on the pickup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have his 2nd yr card too. Bought it for $90 back before the betting scandal broke. I don’t collect to invest but I’m glad it hasn’t lost value. He was my favorite player as a kid. You have a nice’66 there. I waneed that one and his rookie card to finish my flagship Rose collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do have his 63 Topps Rookie card. However, I've actually enjoyed tracking down a lot of the oddball cards that were produced in the 80s more than his rookie card. There are some real gems out there including the Drake's cards and Topps Gallery of Champions metal cards.

    ReplyDelete