Friday, December 11, 2020

Classic Oddball: Classic Major League Baseball Card Game

In addition to the 1990 Score Rising Stars set, I bought these two 1989 Classic Major League Baseball Card Game sets for a buck apiece at the card shop over the Thanksgiving weekend.


Why'd I buy two? One to put in a binder and one to actually play the game with., of course. At just $1 each, why not? They had about 8 of them.


I did think it was interesting that one of the (left) has a Kmart price tag and the other one (right) has a Toys "R" Us price tag. $5.97 at Kmart and $5.99 at Toys "R" Us, which sounds about right. 

This is only a 50 card set (cards 151 - 200) and the third of three series referred to as the "Travel Purple" set, but it contains some big names like Ken Griffey Jr. (seen on the front), Bo Jackson, Nolan Ryan, Kirby Puckett, Dwight Gooden, and Mark McGwire among others.

Griffey has another card in the set, It's in the second series; the "Travel Orange" set. Are these considered rookie cards? I collect Griffey and I have over 1000 of his cards, but I didn't have this "rookie" card and I was able to pick one up for a buck, along with the rest of the set. Thank you typically overpriced Card Shop!

1 comment:

  1. Nice find. I probably would have bought all 8 for that price. Although some might not consider it a true rookie card... I not one of those people. I enjoy collecting oddball rookies.

    ReplyDelete