Wednesday, December 9, 2020

1967 Topps Pete Rose

In addition to the 1966 Topps Pete Rose card I was able to add a 1967 Topps Rose card to my collection this past Saturday.

This 1967 card features another shot of Rose in a batting pose, similar to his 1966 card, but this time he is featured batting left-handed. This card isn't in great shape, but it's crease free and not terribly centered, so I was happy to add it to my collection for $20. I put it in the magnetic.


The cartoons on the back mention him leading the Florida State League in doubles, but gives no mention of what year. From what I can tell, Rose was in the Florida State League in 1961 with the Tampa Tarpons. He led the FSL in hits, but not in doubles that year, so I'm confused. His 20 doubles that year had him ties for fourth in doubles. The other cartoons talks about him leading the NL in hits in 1965, so it would make complete sense to have mentioned that he led the FSL in hits in 1961 and that he led the NL in hits in 1965.


I mentioned that this card featured Rose batting left handed. Here is his 1966 and 1967 card so you can see that he is indeed a switch hitter.


I went from have zero 1960's Pete Rose cards in my collection to having two out of seven. Hopefully I can add a few more soon. 

Which of these two cards do you prefer? The 1966 or 1967? Both have a certain appeal in my opinion. I go back and forth, but I think I prefer the 1967 card.

4 comments:

  1. I agree on preferring the 1967. His expression is a little goofy on the 1966, but he looks confident and composed on the 1967. Not that I wouldn't be thrilled to own either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. '67 of course. Love the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. '67 has a great background, I agree. I was fortunate to get his 67, 68 and 69 in my initial big vintage purchase a couple of years ago. In fact those cards were what got me to buy that collection and jump into vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of either design... but I don't dislike them either. If I were ranking them against other flagship designs (1952 to 2020)... I feel like they'd fall in the 40's somewhere with 1967 beating out 1966.

    ReplyDelete