Saturday, August 3, 2013

Box Break Recap: 2001 Topps Series 1

We spent last weekend up in Flagstaff, Arizona visiting my brother-in-law and sister-in-law. We enjoyed the nice weather (the highs were in the 70's) and a lot of rain. We went to Slide Rock near Sedona, AZ which was really fun, but the water was freezing. I also managed a trip to the only Card Shop in town. The shop was tiny. It was no bigger than my den where I house all of my cards and sports memorabilia. The owner said most of his business came from Magic cards. That's sad. Most of his single were overpriced, but he did have some old boxes for $20 each. I ended up getting a box of 2001 Topps Series 1 Baseball cards. 36 packs, 10 cards per pack. I wasn't collecting in 2001 so I thought it would be fun. There was a possibility of Autographs and Jersey cards, but this was before they were x number per box, so I didn't pull any. It was still fun though!

Let's start off with some base cards. One thing I noticed right away was how few cards there were of players that are still playing today. Then I realized that these cards were 12 years old. Here are a few cards featuring players that are still playing.



Here are couple of Golden Moments cards that I got in the same pack. I thought that was interesting.



Speaking of Mark McGwire...I thought this was a great shot of something that I remember seeing a lot.


I got a base card of Ken Griffey Jr., which was nice. I'm not sure if I already have it or not. But it wasn't my only Griffey out of the box.


Now, onto the inserts. 2001 was the 50th Anniversary of Topps (the Gold anniversary) so many of the inserts are gold themed. 




Next are a couple of other inserts. Lot's of McGwire in this box. Also, Alex Rodriguez in a Mariners jersey. In 2001 these would have been amazing pulls. Today, not so much!



Next up are some reprint type cards. I was glad to get the Piazza.




As far as I know, 2001 was the first year to include the gold parallel cards numbered to the year. These were a tough pull though. At 1:17 packs I wasn't even guaranteed 2 for the box. I was happy that one was a D-Back!



Finally the Topps Combo cards were probably my favorite inserts, although I do have some questions about the titles; Latin Heat and Glove Birds. Here are the three that I pulled.



3 comments:

  1. I love the Latin Heat card of Vlad and Clemente.

    I picked up my first gold parallel of this set just the other week. I still think it's a bit puzzling that they left some of the green border on the cards. It is what it is I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope to finish this set one of these days. $20/box is good news!

    ReplyDelete