Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Beckett Baseball Card Monthly November 1998 - Page 7

Today we'll take a look at page 7 of the November 1998 issue of Beckett Baseball Card Monthly magazine which is a full page ad for N64 sports games.


I had an N64, but didn't have a ton of games. NFL Blitz 2000, was my favorite N64 game. Obviously this advertisement is from 1998, so NFL Blitz 2000 isn't on the list. The only game on the list that I actually had was 1080 Snowboarding. It was given to me as a gift one year by somebody I worded with. It was a nice gesture, but not a game I would have picked out myself.

Who had an N64? How many of these games did you have?

I read an interesting article in ESPN magazine a few months back about video game collectors. Some games are extremly rare and go for big bucks. With video games the real money is in the packaging. For example, a used copy of Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr. goes for $5-$10 on ebay, but a copy in unopened packaging is up for grabs at 5 to 10 times that amount.

2 comments:

  1. I actually have an N64 hooked up to my TV right now - retro games are a small subset of my collecting obsession. I preferred the Sega Dreamcast from this era for sports, so the only one from that list in my collection is 1998 FIFA Road to the World Cup. There's a ridiculous number of teams from all over the world available in the game, which was the appeal for me.

    Similar to baseball cards- the cards/games themselves are not all that rare, but the condition makes a big difference in price. N64 games in particular had a ton of unnecessary packaging, so most people didn't keep the original box. All of my games are loose cartridges because I wanted to play the games rather than collect/re-sell them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was more of a Playstation and PS2 kind of guy. I don't play video games very often... but when I do, it's on my PS4.

    ReplyDelete