Saturday, July 11, 2020

JUNIOR

It's been a week since my last post, but this time I have a good reason for the delay. I've been on vacation for the past week or so in California. There were a few things that were closed, but we spent a couple of days at the beach boogie boarding and playing spikeball, one at a lake and I spent another day deep sea fishing, so we kept busy. The best thing though was the weather. Hard to beat highs in the low 70's. We got back last night and today the high here is going to be 116.

Last night after returning I watched JUNIOR, the documentary on MLB Network. Griffey is my all-time favorite player, so I was very much looking forward to watching it. My only criticism is that it was too short. Would have loved it to be longer and have included more archival behind the scenes footage, interviews with other players (not just teammates), touch on his struggles as a teenager, and at least mention his time with the White Sox.

I loved every minute, but just wish there was more.

This morning I thought it would be appropriate to continue to clean off my desk by putting away a small stack of Griffey cards that I've accumulated recently.


I have my Griffey cards in two different binders. The first is 1990 - 2000 (Mariners only). The second  binder is 2000 (Reds only) - current. All cards are in the binders except for anything before 1990 and autos and relics. I'm not going to show all of the cards I was able to add to the binder, but here are a few. 


I have all the cards sorted by year. I added this 1994 card to the 1995 section because it is a 1995 Topps Pre Production Sample card for 1995 Topps. I put it next to the 1995 Topps base card.

Next up is a 1998 Donruss Preferred card. Pretty sure this was part of a comc order a year or two ago.


The majority of the cards I added featured Griffey as a Mariner, but I added these two Reds cards to the binder.


Next up is another Mariners card produced while Griffey was playing in Cincinnati. It's from 2004 Leaf Limited and is numbered out of 749.


Out of the little stack of Griffey cards, only three were dups, so that was nice to be able to add a few to the binder. I counted and between the two binders I am at 1,169 unique Griffey cards.

Have you seen JUNIOR? What did you think?

5 comments:

  1. 116? That's just ridiculous.
    I haven't seen JUNIOR, but I'd definitely sit down and watch it if I had MLB Network. Also, 1,169 cards is just a huge amount. I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have mentioned that it’s available in its entirety on YouTube.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out!

      Delete
  2. Highs in the low 70's. I'd be putting on a coat! LOL, but seriously I would. Give the 90's or at least upper 80's and very little breeze. Oh yeah jack that humidity up too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bay Area has experience a very mild summer so far. I think we broke 100 one or two days. Most of it has been spent in the 80 to 90 range which is still way too hot for my liking, but nothing AC can't solve. Not looking forward to triple digits in August though.

    As for Junior... haven't seen it. I would if I could though. He was a fascinating athlete and a very likable guy.

    ReplyDelete