Wednesday, November 4, 2020

My Favorite World Series Memory

I got a PWE from GCRL last week, but based on this card that was part of the gift from Jim, I thought it was appropriate to wait until today to post.


19 years ago today, this image was captured as Luis Gonzalez who had hit 57 home runs during the regular season, hit a blooper, in the bottom of the 9th, off arguably the greatest closer of all-time, that would have been an out except the infield was playing in to try to get the out at the plate.

Seeing this card come as part of the PWE from GCRL prompted me to find other cards related to this glorious event. 


I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones I currently have in my collection.

Here are the other cards GCRL sent me. Thanks Jim!


I needed this card for my 2020 Archives set!





You've seen my favorite World Series memory. What is yours? Is it commemorated on cardboard?

6 comments:

  1. That Series was grand! I couldn't have been happier for a D-backs win. Hard for me to choose a favorite. It was "2017" but the memory is now tarnished. I guess it would have to be the Cubs win, highly celebrated on cardboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every Red Sox fan was also a Diamondbacks fan that day! My favorite World Series moment might just be Game 4 of the 2013 World Series when Koji Uehara ended the game by picking off the Cardinals runner on first. That was just a crazy way to end a game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my most memorable WS moment was Game 3 of the Bay Bridge Series... when the earthquake hit. Although very scary, it was also memorable. As for happiest? It probably should be when the A's swept the Giants that year... but I gotta say Gonzalez's hit off Mo probably drew an even happier reaction. I'm pretty sure I screamed for joy when it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad the cards arrived! i sent gonzalez a ttm request in 2008 or so, and thanked him for getting that hit. i really didn't want to see another yankee title.
    my favorite ws memory is kirk gibson's home run in 1988. being there in person and having so many cardboard reminders of it means it is something that i'll never forget. after that, it would be the final out of the 1981 world series - a fly ball to kenny landreaux.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, I have seen my Indians lose three World Series in theast 25 years and two of those went to a game 7. One day I hope and pray they break their curse and win a World Series title in my lifetime. Until then, I have to say that my favorite non Indians WS memory is watching Albert Pujols hitting three home runs in a game. And yes, I have some cards that commerate the historic achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine is Game 7 in Cleveland just four years ago. That was an awesome night.
    I vividly remember the Dbacks winning the WS... I was so enamored by Johnson and Schilling. They were so dominant.

    ReplyDelete