Wednesday, August 19, 2020

2020 National Baseball Card Day Recap

 I'm a little over a week behind, but I hope everyone had a great National Baseball Card Day back on the 8th. I hit up two different card shops and spent a total of $4.35 cents.

One of the shops was participating in National Baseball Card Day and so I did get the Pete Alonso card and a pack for free.

My pack contained a nice mix of youngsters and veterans.
I also happened to get a small lot of 1982 Topps cards on NBCD that I bought on eBay when I realized that the 1982 Topps card I had for my Reggie Jackson collection was his all-star card and not his base card.
The cards were shipped between two pieces of cardboard and the envelope came with a "postage due" stamp on it, but I wasn't charged. The fact that this came in on the same day that I went to the card shop was perfect because I happened to pick up a 1980 Topps Reggie Jackson card at one of the card shops.

The 1980 card is significant because it and the 1982 card were the only cards I still needed to complete the base Topps Reggie Jackson run.







I also found another 1986 card in a dime box so that I could replace the one I took out of my 1986 Topps set.

The next few cards came out of 15/$1 box. I could only come up with 14, but that's okay.

I also added a few Walley Joyner and a Zack Greinke card but somehow I didn't get pictures. This Trevor Story card will go into my doughnut collection.

Unlike the Story card, these 9 cards are actually from 1992, but they aren't Topps, they are O-Pee-Chee. I'll use these for a binder page since I don't recall having any 1992 O-Pee-Chee cards in my collection.
Initially I was just looking to add the Aaron and Reggie Jackson card to my Aaron and Jackson collections, but they were 3/$1 or 50 cents each, so I decided to get a third card. Then I noticed that there were only 4 different ones. I wasn't familiar with the set, but since the only cards were numbered 1, 2, 3, and 4, I thought they might be the only cards in the set. I did have my doubts though since I saw the Prime 9 at the bottom. Turns out there are 9 cards in the 2012 set, so I will probably just put the Aaron and Jackson in my player collection binder and file the Ruth and Mays cards rather than going after the set. It is a cool looking set though.
The last card I picked up set me back a buck. It is card #1 from the 1971 Topps set. I picked it up because I need less than 50 cards to complete the set and this is one of them.

So there you have it. That was my 2020 National Baseball Card Day. How about you? What did you do?

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing your run of Reggies. I went last year with my buddy and SumoMenkoMan, but didn't hit any shops this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worked ... Same as every other National Baseball Card Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quarantined...again (up to Day 161 now).

    ReplyDelete