Friday, August 28, 2020

Thurman Munson: 1970 - 1979 Topps

Years ago I picked up the iconic 1971 Topps Thurman Munson card. I was then able to pick up a well loved 1970 Topps rookie card. From that point on I decided to go after the complete run of Topps Munson cards. I would pick them up whenever I came across them for a buck or two.

After a while I couldn't remember which cards I had and which cards I still needed so I put this project on the back burner. Well, the other day I decided to try and track down the last card I needed. It was the 1976 card and I searched for it at a couple of different cards shops, with no luck. I put out a couple of feelers on Twitter and Facebook groups looking for it, but didn't' have any luck so I turned to eBay.

Aside from the 1970 and 1971 cards, I was able to get all the others for just a few bucks, but the 1976 card is a high number and can't be had in decent condition for under $10. I found the card in good shape along with one other card for about $15 shipped and pulled the trigger.


So there you have it. 1970 - 1979 Topps Thurman Munson. I wish there were several more. I think most people would agree that the 1971 is his best looking card. It's probably in my top 5 all-time cards. I also really like his 1973 card. Which card is your favorite?


3 comments:

  1. There are no high numbers in '76 Topps. Don't know why it was more elusive for you, just a random thing, probably.

    Munson was a titan when I was collecting cards in the second half of the '70s, his cards really stood out, especially his '76 card. First card of his I owned was the '77. But '71 is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats the the run.. some great cards there. Love the big smile on the '77.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Munson was one of the first guys to make me understand that cards had value. I remember wanting his rookie card since the early 80's after one of my neighbors added one to his collection. His death definitely played a role in my interest as well. Anyways, I completed his collection a few years ago. The last card I needed was his rookie card, which I dropped $30 on at a card show.

    My favorite Munson? His iconic 1971 card. But his 1973 is right up there. I've been hunting for a graded copy of that card for months, but haven't been able to track down a bargain priced one.

    ReplyDelete