Monday, August 30, 2021

Hall of Fame Rookie Card: Orlando Cepeda

Last weekend I went to two different card shops. My purchases consisted of mostly bargain bin cards, although I feel like I got some great cards. I did however, make one substantial purchase. It was this 1958 Topps Orlando Cepeda rookie card that I bought for $10.

Hall of Fame rookie card from the 1950's for just $10? Yes, please. Do I mind that it has a crease? Nope. I'm really happy to add this card to my collection at this price.

The crease is right where the price tag is and goes all the way across the card. In the case, it's actually not that noticeable. The color on this particular card is fantastic and the centering isn't all that bad.

To be honest, I might already have this card. I'm not sure, but at just $10, regardless of the crease, I had to grab it. 

This card also works for my Rookie Card of players that won the Rookie of the Year Award, as Cepeda was the 1958 National League Rookie of the Year. The 11 time all-star was also the 1967 NL MVP. He was voted into the Hall of Fame by the Veteran's Committee in 1999. 

5 comments:

  1. Wowza. That card is clean. I don't even see a crease. Congratulations on the pickup. I added mine (at about 5x the price) back in 2019. My buddy held a signing with him and I was going to get it signed, but was on vacation when the signing took place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, Cepeda has to be one of the most undervalued players in the hobby. That's a great deal. I don't have his rookie, but I did pick up an autorelic of him off eBay for basically the same price. I NEVER see autorelics of Hall of Famers for that price. And it's numbered to /50.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice pick up. I've got a reprint in that slot in my binder right now just waiting for the good luck to come across one at that pricepoint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the pickup. My LCS has been doing Facebook auctions during the pandemic and I was able to get an auto of him on a baseball for $16. Planning to give it to my son for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice! Great deal on the signed ball! HOF auto for about the same price as an OMLB.

      Delete