Friday, October 9, 2020

1970 Topps

Last year I purchased a collection from a guy off Offer Up. There were about 30 star cards from 1970 Topps. When we arrived at the location so I could make the purchase he pulled out a 800 count box and said he found these to go along with the 1970 Topps cards. It was full of more 1970 Topps cards. Lots of dups and some of the cards were just trashed, but along with the 30 or so star cards, I decided to try to complete the set.

So when I was at the card shop recently and saw that they had a bunch of 1970 Topps in their dime box I took a look and pulled out a few. Next to the dime box they have some small cases with quarter, 50 cent and $1 cards. A few of these were from the quarter and 50 cent cases.

I had made a list, but without it on me I was just guessing. so I ended up picking up 8 duplicates. I needed just over 400 cards from the set, so my odds were just over 50/50. These 15 cards were all needed though, so it wasn't all bad.


Because I still need so many cards, I'm not going to post a list just yet, but my plan is to go back to the card shop and knock off a few more and then post the list on my blog to help me keep track and see if I can get some help.

I do have a question for the community. I noticed when looking through the stack that the Pilots name is in several different colors (red, yellow, black, and white). Was this done with other teams as well, or just the Pilots? 


6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a fair number of 70's to trade. Quite a few have writing on them though. I'd be happy to trade for any trashed '70s that I need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, now, I'm collecting the 1970 Topps set as well. Wish I had a card shop to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't speak for every team, but the A's were featured with black, red, white, and yellow text for their team name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After you complete the 1970 set, check out this custom card manufacturer. They mostly make football cards, but also have 2 sets of 1970 cards for the Brewers (not Pilots).

    https://retrocards.net/product-category/baseball-sets/

    ReplyDelete