Friday, October 30, 2020

There are all different types of card collectors. Some of us are team collectors. Some people collect the hot   rookies or just Hall of Famers. Other collectors are player collectors collect anything and everything related to one particular player. Many of us are set collectors. Most of us in the blogging world collect a little bit of everything. Okay, a lot of everything. For example, I collect the Diamondbacks, although I have slowed down a bit in this area. I don't really chase the hot rookie because I don't buy a ton of packs, but I did buy some Topps Series II earlier this year hoping to pull the Luis Robert rookie card, so maybe there is some of that in me. I do love picking up cards of Hall of Fame players, especially their rookie cards. I am a player collector as well. My problem is that I collect more than one player. Couple that with the fact that I collect everything else and it doesn't leave the necessary resources to be a Super Collector of any one particular player. I also collect sets. My primary set focus is on Topps base sets from 1981 - present. 1981 because that is the year I was born. I only recall having one factory set when I was a kid. My parents got my a 1991 Bowman factory set for Christmas. Most of my set collecting as a youngster was the result of buying boxes or packs. Most of the time though, that would result in lots of duplicates and I'd still be missing a handful of cards. As an adult, when decided to collect the 1981 - present Topps sets, I just bought the majority of the as complete sets. It's much more cost efficient that way. In fact, I just used a 25% off one toy coupon through the Target app to get a 2020 Topps set. I still need several fairly recent Topps sets.

2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2018 

I am currently working on a few vintage Topps sets. 1970, 1971, and 1973. Recently Bo, of the blog Baseball Cards Come to Life, and I worked out a trade and he sent me some cards I need for my 1970 and 1971 sets. Thank you Bo!

Bo advised me ahead of time that some of the cards were "well loved", some with writing on them. That's okay with me, especially for the 1970 set because the starter set that I ended up with and the dups that came with it are not in great shape either, so these go nicely with them.

Check out some of the names that Bo sent. Wes Parker is up first at card #5. Wes has a great story and is arguably the best fielding first baseman of all-time. He is really underrated in my book and I am actually looking to collect all of his Topps cards. Similar to what I did with Reggie Jackson and Thurman Munson and what I'm attempting to do with Hank Aaron and Nolan Ryan.

Bo included a couple of checklists and surprisingly both of them are unscathed, without a single check on them. There were also several dual rookie cards in the bunch; most notably the Vida Blue rookie card! Also included were several league leader cards featuring the likes of Rod Carew, Harmon Killabrew, Reggie Jackson, and Tom Seaver. 


There were some other cards of recognizable names like Jim Kaat, Manny Mota, Al Oliver, and Tommy John.


As Bo indicated, some of the cards featured some writing on them. Some of them include the players number, like this Curt Matton card.


Others include both a jersey number and an alternate position, like this Jim Hart card.


I'm actually a little jealous of the kid that did this back in 1970. At least I'm going to assume it was a kid and it happened back in 1970.




3 comments:

  1. Glad you like them! I probably have other Wes Parkers, I'll take a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the 70 and 71s Bo! For Parker I just need his 1966 and 1968 Topps cards.

      Delete
  2. That Vida Blue rookie card is so cool. Combo rookie cards often end up with only a fraction of the players being notable names... but both of those guys played huge roles for Oakland during The Swingin' A's era.

    ReplyDelete