Monday, October 12, 2020

What is the oldest card you've ever gotten from a dime box?

I posted this on Twitter the day I got the card, but I haven't gotten any actual responses to my question.

What is the oldest card you've ever gotten from a dime box?

Last week I picked up this beat up 1955 Topps Herman Wehmeier card for 10 cents from a card shop.

Like I said, it's beat up, but I couldn't pass it up for just two nickels. What strikes me most about this card is the portrait. Most of the time when I look at the pictures on older cards the players look like they are from the 1950's. Not sure exactly how else to explain that, but I hope you understand what I mean. To me, the portrait of Herman looks like a current player or at least from the early to mid 2000's. Again, I don't know how to explain it, but that just what I thought when I saw the card.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, you have some card shop. I don't think I've ever seen anything earlier than mid-70s in a dime box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once at a card show I found a 1953 Topps card in a dime box.It wasn't in too bad condition, outside of having all the borders cut off by a kid with bad scissor skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not 100% sure... but I did pick up a 1958 Topps Bob Turley for a dime. That card was part of a purchase that included a 60's rookie card of a hall of famer and quite possibly my best flea market find. I'll share it this upcoming weekend in a post.

    ReplyDelete