Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Another 1952 Bowman - Vern law

I picked up a few 1952 Bowman cards during the same visit to my LCS. They must have picked up a collection with a bunch because they had several stars on display and some stacks of semi-stars and commons to look through. 

This Vern Law card came out of a stack that was $3.50 each. I'm sure I would love it if the cards were in perfect shape, but to be honest, the issues with the condition doesn't bother me.


Check out the back. Law pitched for the Pirates in 1950 and 1951, but Bowman knew when they printed this card that Law wasn't playing ball, but he was in the service instead. He would spend 1952 and 1953 in the military before returning to the Pirates in 1954.

I could certainly see myself trying to compete the 1952 Bowman set. Obviously there are some big names in the set that would make it really difficult, but the cards are beautiful and most can be had in low condition for reasonable prices. What's the oldest set that you are collecting?


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful card. Love the painting of the sky, stadium lights, and wall in the background. Oldest set I'm working on is the 1970 Kellogg's baseball set. Although I've stopped looking for singles on eBay because asking prices are starting to soar on cards I need for this set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oldest set I'm working on is 1957 Topps, but I'd like to make a run at an old Bowmen set like this one someday.

    ReplyDelete