Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Card Show Recap: Part 3

My final purchases at the card show came from a dealer with a bunch of dime boxes. Most of the cards were just base cards from recent sets (2017 - 2019). My ideal dime box is just completely random stuff, so other than looking at the Allen & Ginter stuff I didn't spend a ton of time looking through all of them. I did find some Rediscover Topps cards in addition to the Allen & Ginter and a few other random cards.

I always try to get a few cards from each set to fill a binder page and while I probably already have 2017 Allen & Ginter cards for that binder, I couldn't remember, so I took a chance and spent $1.20 on a dozen cards. I picked up a Zac Gallen rookie card. This guy is having a great season, even though he isn't getting much run support from the D-Backs. The Raul Mondesi is numbered on the back to 3250.



I don't typically seek out the Rediscover Topps cards, but I was really happy to find the two Piazza cards. 

The same dealer had other cards as well. His vintage was 70% off. I found this beautiful 1969 Topps Ray Fosse rookie card with a $4 price tag. He gave it to me for a buck. The card is in fantastic condition, with jus a couple of soft corners. 



Ray Fosse had a nice career, but I think most people know the he was never the same after her sustained an injury during the final play of the 1970 All-Star game in a collision at the plate with Pete Rose. Fosse had the ball in time for make the tag, but Rose crashed into him and knocked the ball loose in order to score the winning run in the bottom of the 12th inning in front of the local crowd in Cincinnati. Although he played the rest of the 1970 season, it was later revealed that he had sustained a fracture and separated shoulder during the collision. Even so, Fosse would win Gold Gloves in both 1970 and 1971 and be an all-star both years. He was later traded to the Oakland A's and won the World Series with them in 1973 and 1974. Fosse would sustain several other injuries during his career all of which make you wonder what could have been if he had remained injury free.

Who are some other players who had their careers derailed by injury who could have been great?

4 comments:

  1. First person that comes to mind is Bo Jackson. As for Fosse... I posted a card of him on my blog yesterday. He's a A's legend. Been working for them for as long as I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice '69 Topps cards and a great deal/haul too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like every generation of fans has that one player who could've been something had he not been injured. I'm definitely in the Bo Jackson generation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buybacks are always a good find for a dime, especially since some of them can fetch stupid-high prices online.

    ReplyDelete