Monday, December 27, 2010

Brandon Webb is a Texas Ranger (if he passes the physical)

Brandon Webb has agreed to a 1-year deal with the Texas Rangers. Webb, arguably one of the best pitchers in all of baseball from 2005 - 2008, has not pitched in a regular season game since April 6, 2009. Webb went 70-37 with a 3.23 ERA during that 3 year stretch and won the 2006 National League Cy Young Award. Webb injured his shoulder on Opening Day of 2009 and has not been able to pitch in the big leagues since, although he is expected to be ready to pitch in Spring Training.

As a Diamondbacks and a Webb fan, I really wanted the D-Backs to resign Webb and hoped that he would be able to pitch at the same level as before. However, I understand both sides in this situation. The D-Backs have paid Webb $15 million over the past two seasons and have got nothing out of it and would be understandably cautious about signing him for another year when his future is uncertain. Webb on the other hand, I'm sure feels like he can be as successful as he was before and wants to be valued and have an opportunity to win. I'm sad to see Webb go, but I wish him the best. I'm not sure what this will do to my Webb collection. I'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment