Friday, September 19, 2014

I'm done....at least for a while.

On Wednesday I bought a card off eBay. It was one of those, "It's such a good deal! I've got to get it before someone else does. I mean there are only 24 of them in the whole world" purchases.

I also went to my LCS for their Wednesday night auction. I spent less than $20 between the eBay purchase and the auction at my LCS.

I know $20 isn't much, but it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Okay, so the eBay purchase was the straw that broke the camel's back and my trip to the LCS was my last hurrah...at least for a while.

I made a decision that I need to stop spending money on my hobby for a while. It might be a month. It might be two. It might be more. I've just got some other things that need to be my priority right now.

I know what you're thinking. "This guy spent less than $20 bucks on his last hurrah? Lame!" All I will say is that I was outbid on a few items.

Now just because I'm not going to be spending money doesn't mean that I'm going to stop blogging. In fact, I've recently started blogging in a completely different way that should help me continue to put out posts on a regular basis.

I've got a trade or two, several eBay pick-ups, and some cards from my LCS, including the cards I purchased on Wednesday that I still need to post about.


I'm also going to start blogging periodically about some of the roughly 50,000 basketball, football, and hockey cards that I have accumulated over the years that haven't ever been featured on my blog.


















The time that I used to spend browsing eBay and comc.com as well as time spent traveling to and from card shops will be put to good use organizing my collection.

I've got to catalog my Ken Griffey Jr., Mike Piazza and other player collections.



I'm going to continue to work on organizing my mini collections.

I'm also going to sort through roughly 15,000 cards that my friend recently gave me when he moved.

I'm also going to try to thin out my collection by selling things either on eBay or comc.com.

I'm done spending money on the hobby for a while, which will be tough, but it'll be worth it and I'm excited about spending my time to better organize my collection and will continue to post on a regular basis.

18 comments:

  1. Besides some eBay purchases I am following suit and cutting off my random pack/blaster/box purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sore off boxes a long time ago, but every once in a while I'll get one or a blaster or hanger box. eBay is my kryptonite.

      Delete
  2. You are my idol. I always tell myself that I'm done spending money. And it usually lasts until I see another cool card I want on eBay. I think your plan is awesome. Have fun and can't wait to see some of those football cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually looking forward to showing off some non-baseball cards as well. My blog is probably 99% baseball right now, but that might change to 75% baseball, 25% everything else.

      Delete
  3. Good move. It's a relief to have things in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm really looking forward to having things organized!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Great point! I'm looking forward to enjoying the hobby without having to spend money!

      Delete
  5. I've been sort of doing the same thing to an extent. I'm lucky in having a card show nearby, so I won't go cold turkey on buying, but eBay has lost my interest. Good luck with the cataloging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping that the cataloging will turn out to be fun, but right now I'm dreading it.

      Delete
  6. $20? Yeah - that is what I consider a limit when I spend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I rarely spend more than $20 at a time, but I spend it more often than I should.

      Delete
  7. I dumped Ebay months ago. I don't even look anymore. I will browse Listia regularly (I wish that network was faster), and buy some cards at least $10.00 to score the free shipping from Just Commons for cards on the want list only (189 cards pending now). No matter how hard I try I can never get completely organized because like the other weekend apx 20K cards for free, keeps you out of binders, or pages, or boxes, etc....I did score a dozen binders for $2 at a yard sale recently that always helps. Stay focused on your plan, and all will be fine, but still reward yourself with a buck or two, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've only used Just Commons once before. I'll have to give them another look when I re-enter the purchasing mode.

      Delete
  8. Obviously I've been cutting back for awhile. The hardest part is staying off eBay. There always a good deal out there.

    I'm looking forward to the non-baseball posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just keep telling myself that there will still be good deals out there when I actually have the money to put towards the hobby.

    ReplyDelete