Thursday, February 15, 2018

The Last Innocents

I finished reading The Last Innocents by Michael Leahy last week and I thoroughly enjoyed it, even if it was about the Dodgers.

Truth be told, I love anything to do with the history of baseball and I was a Dodgers fan before the D-Backs arrived in 1998, so this book was right up my alley.

While I was already somewhat familiar with the Koufax and Drysdale led Dodgers of the 1960's I learned a lot about other Dodgers players from that decade including Maury Wills and his relationship with actress Doris Day and the struggles that haunted Wes Parker during his childhood and remained well into his playing career and beyond. I highly recommend this book to any baseball fan.


I'm pretty sure I don't have any Wes Parker cards in my collection and that needs to change. I have a couple of Koufax cards from his playing days and I have a Drysdale RC, so I thought this would be a good time to show them off on the blog.






4 comments:

  1. I was given this book last spring. It's sat on my book shelf since. I'm about to begin a book-reading binge and this will be one of the first I tackle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good! I don't want to give anything away so, let me know what you think when you finish.

      Delete
  2. Wish I could trick myself into believing that I'd read this if I purchased it, but there are just too many book on my back burner to even consider it. It does sound interesting though. Wes Parker and Don Drysdale always makes me think of The Brady Bunch. And your 56T Koufax reminds me that I need to get off my butt and buy a copy for my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember the Brady Bunch episodes with Wes Parker and Drysdale and both are mentioned briefly in the book.

      Delete