Saturday, January 2, 2010

19-year old cardboard from 30-Year Old Cardboard

Brian over at 30-Year Old Cardboard posted some of his needs for his Greg Maddux and Darryl Strawberry player collections. He was offering a pack of 1991 Upper Deck in return for each card off his want list. I sent him a 1990 Fleer Darryl Strawberry card and today in the mail I got my 1991 Upper Deck. But wait, I didn't just get one pack,

or two packs,


but three packs of 1991 Upper Deck! Thanks Brian!


These 1991 Upper Deck packs really brought back some memories. I was 10 years old in 1991 and bought a ton of 1991 Upper Deck, but I haven't seen it in years. Here are some of the highlights of my 3 packs.

Benito Santiago - The photo makes it look like the bat is bending.

Chris Sabo - Remember when Sabo was good.


Curt Schilling - A very young Curt Schilling


Danny Tartabull - This is when the backs of cards had pictures and sometimes the picture on the back was better than the picture on the front. Here is one example.


Frank Tanana - Is he posing for a Blue Blockers infomercial?


Geno Petralli - All of the cards were vertical, but Upper Deck made an exception for this one.


"Ground Beaking" - Posed shot, but cool in 1991.


Jeff M. Robinson - When was the last time you saw a middle initial on the front of a baseball card?


Karl Rhodes - This kid was supposed to be good. What happened?


Mark Grace - A young Mark Grace


Marquis Grissom - Just an awesome photo.


"The Bashing Years" - Mark McGwire in his prime, but yet before his prime.


Todd Van Poppel - He was suppossed to be the next Nolan Ryan.


4 comments:

  1. I love that design. Nice Grace card. I hear he is really good TTM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, looking at these cards, there is some really nice photography. The Van Poppel card is about as baseball as it gets. Just look at that background!

    The Geno card is great. The Fish card. Lots of em. Junk wax ain't really junk.

    Would it be considered ironic if you pulled a Strawberry or Maddux?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was there any greater bust than Todd Van Poppel? Also, check out the mountains behind him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first cards ever. I received 7 packs from someone on my 7th birthday in 1992. The rest, as they say, is history. Or something. I didn't really start collecting till '96, and that was basketball. So yeah, what was the question?

    Oh, and Karl kinda went on to become the greatest foreign player ever in Japan. He did alright for himself, lol.

    ReplyDelete