Monday, February 18, 2019

2 Unopened Cases

On Saturday I went to two different card shops and at the second one I happened to come across a couple of cases of Star Minor League Baseball Cards. The cases were sealed, so all I knew was they were Star, Minor League, and Series 2. I didn't know what year or how many boxes per case.


But at $6 per case I didn't take time to question anything before making the purchase. Turns out they are from 1989 and there are 6 boxes per case. 48 packs, yes, 48 packs per box with 10 cards per pack. Let's do the math. 10 cards per pack x 48 packs per box = 480 cards per box x 6 boxes per case = 2,880 cards x 2 cases = 5,760 cards. This works out to 5 cards for a penny.


A little research revealed that the 1989 Star Minor League baseball Series 2 sets contains 100 cards, so that means I should end up with 57 complete sets, but I doubt I come even close to that number. 

There is some star power in the Star set. Series 2 includes Robin Ventura, Deion Sanders, and Tino Martinez among others. Not sure if or when I'll open them up, but they ended up at just $1 per box, so I can sit on them for a while.

11 comments:

  1. Dang! At that price, it would be fun to just open them even if you only used them to stoke your fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SumoMenkoMan makes a good point. It would be tough to buy a bundle of firewood at that price! LOL

      Delete
  2. If the Star cards turn out to be the 1994 Hooters Star cards LMK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Cool deal. Of course you could just open up a few boxes, enough to build a couple of sets and then sell the other boxes for whatever. Almost any price you set them at will be a profit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'll probably open a box and see if I can make a complete set or two and then go from there.

      Delete
  4. I wish I was there so much! I think that's a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At $1 per box, it's hard to beat. I'm wondering if they have more that they'll put out now that I bought those two.

      Delete
  5. Cool purchase!

    Not that I've been to town recently, but which store?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are the kinds of things I'm amazed survived so long. Where have those been hiding?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome purchase! I probably would have paid $20 per case. If you decide to rip into them, I can't wait to see what you pull.

    ReplyDelete