Saturday, February 16, 2019

Some Words Of Wisdom

When I was a kid my parents got lots of magazines. My mom got cooking magazines and Better Homes & Gardens. My dad got The American Rifleman and military history magazines.They also had subscriptions to Smithsonian magazine and Reader's Digest. Occasionally they'd come across a baseball related article and would pass it along to me.

I remember once such article form a Reader's Digest magazine. It was about Don Larsen and the Perfect Game he pitched in the 1956 World Series.

Here are two additional cards from the Vintage New York Yankees lot that I picked up off Facebook a couple months back that feature Don Larsen.

Here is a well loved 1955 Bowman card featuring Larsen in his new digs, having been traded to the Yankees from the Orioles at the end of the 1954 season as part of a 17 player deal.


Since I mentioned my parents earlier I thought I would point out that the 1955 Bowman design features a Color TV. I don't know the exact year that my parents got a color television, but I know my siblings talk about going over to friends houses or babysitting at someone's house that had a color TV and just being captivated by it. If I had to guess it would have probably have been the late 1970's or early 1980's. I was born in 1981 and I always remember us having a color TV, but we also had a little 13 inch black and white TV as well. It must have been because they spent so much on magazines.

The second card shows famed Yankee skipper Casey Stengel sharing some Words Of Wisdom with Don Larsen. It's a 1959 Topps card and mentions his 1956 World Series "perfect no hit game" on the back.



If you had some Words Of Wisdom to someone entering the hobby today or maybe someone returning to the hobby, as we often see, what would they be?

I would tell them to focus on quality over quantity. What would you tell them?

9 comments:

  1. Be specific in what you collect, and know up f

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. front that it is impossible to get every card you want.

      Delete
    2. Solid advise indeed John! Sometimes I forget that I can't get every card I want, which is all of them!

      Delete
  2. i like that words of wisdom card. as a card collector on and off for over forty years i would say buy the cards that you enjoy .don't worry about the grade. keep the fun in collecting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love what you said about not worrying about the grade! That's the only way that I've been able to pick up some awesome cards. I've got a dup of the Words of Wisdom card. If you'd like it, just send me your address and it's yours.

      Delete
  3. Allow yourself the freedom to change your path. If you begin as a team collector, don't feel you can't veer from this. I have a friend struggling with just that right now. So what? Yes, you invested some dollars but are you happy with it now? There is no one perfect way to collect so do what makes you happy! I agree to with John and Kirk. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advise Julie! We all started collecting to have fun and it needs to remain that way!

      Delete
  4. Wow. I'm curious about when my family got their first color television. I'm gonna guess sometime in the 60's. I don't remember having a B&W television (except the Sony Watchman I owned) and I was born in the early 70's. I guess they technically could have bought one as late as the early 70's. As for your question... my latest card collector and blogger motto has been "collect what you wanna collect", and "buy what you wanna buy".

    ReplyDelete