Sunday, September 20, 2009

Movie Review: Eight Men Out


I got this movie in the mail this week. I can't remember which crackers it was, but there was a promotion where if you bought a certain number of boxes of crackers then you could send in for a movie. I have 2 young kids and so we go through a lot of crackers. I don't remember if I had seen this movie before or not. If I had it had been a long time. The movie originally came out in 1998 and it stars John Cusak, Charlie Sheen and Christopher Loyd among others. This is a 20th Anniversary Edition.
-
The back of the movie case reads: This "authentic, funny and very touching" (Sneak Previews) film about the infamous 1919 Chicago White Sox scandal scored a home run with audiences accross the globe! This DVD serves up a thrilling grand slam of special features including a behind-the-scences commentary, a documentary and more! John Cusak and Charlie Sheen lead a "superb ensamble of actors" (Newsweek) as young idealistic players on the White Sox, who, despite being pennant winners, are treated with disdain by their penny-pinching owner/manager. Ripe for a money-making scheme, the demoralized team agrees to throw the World Series. But when they're defeated a couple of sports writers smell a fix, and a national scandal explodes, ripping the cover off America's favorite pastime in "the movie baseball fans have been waiting for" (USA Today).
-
As a huge baseball fan, I was already very familiar with the story, but I still loved the movie. I feel bad for Buck Weaver and Shoeless Joe. I'm looking forward to checking out the documentary.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this film. They got the atmosphere of the period just right. Great acting from everyone involved. It is a part of my permanent collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic movie, a great tribute to baseball and to appeal to people interested in learning about the game.

    ReplyDelete