Sunday, November 23, 2014

Reggie: A Season with a Superstar

I'm reading a book right now called "Reggie: A Season with a Superstar". It's basically Reggie Jackson's journal from the 1974 season.


Whenever I read a baseball book, I always end up looking for baseball cards that relate to what I'm reading. Most of the time they only end up making it onto my mental Want List.

But then I came across this 1974 Topps Reggie Jackson card for $2 at my LCS and jumped on it.

Reggie spends a lot of time talking about his teammates. One of his teammates was Vida Blue. After reading about Blue I checked eBay to see about adding his rookie card to my collection, but didn't pull the trigger because of the shipping costs.

I'm glad I didn't.

I picked up this nice copy of his 1970 Topps rookie card for a quarter.


The 1974 season was also the debut of Herb Washington. The A's owner Charles Finley signed sprinter Herb Washington to a contract as a "designated runner". 

This prompted another Google search and a scan of eBay. The cost of shipping outweighed the cost of the card, so I passed, but this 1975 Topps card, the only baseball card to list the position as Pinch Runner, made my mental Want List.

This card came from my LCS's dime box during the same visit that I picked up the two cards above. 


I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book, so we'll see if any other cards make my mental Want List. 

1 comment: