Saturday, June 27, 2020

If 2020 was a card collector's desk

I decided recently that I wanted to get back into blogging regularly. I need to. I need to take a step back from everything going on right now in the world and focus on something that brings me joy. Baseball cards.

2020 has been a crazy year. I took this picture the other day and I think it represents 2020 fairly well.


I've got a lot of work to do. Good thing I bought a laptop late last year or blogging wouldn't even be an option at this point.

I'm going to take some time going through everything; sorting and putting it where it goes or getting rid of it. So, let's get started.

I grabbed the 330 count box the is next to Groot. These are cards that I got as part of a Paul Goldschmidt collection that I bought shortly after he was traded to the Cardinals in 2018.

First up is a small group of Bryce Harper cards. Harper is a polarizing player. Most people either love him or hate him. I like him. I "collect" him. When I say "collect" Harper, I mean that I keep his cards when I come across them and I will pick them up in dime boxes when I come across ones I don't have. I don't have any relic or autographed cards. I do have an autographed SI magazine that my brother got for me. When my brother lived in Las Vegas he knew the Harper family.


Let's see how many I don't already have and put them away. Okay, so out of the 13, I needed 10 of them. That gives me 54 total Bryce Harper cards.

Here are the dups. If you need one, let me know.


Let's finish up today's post with a small group of Nolan Ryan cards. Is there anyone out there that doesn't like Nolan Ryan? I know there are some people who don't think of him as a great pitcher, but he had a great career and his statistics are staggering.


Because Ryan pitched for so long, for the longest time I have always wanted to have one of each of his Topps cards. It's something I've thought about since I was a teenager. I think it has something to do with the fact that his cards during his playing career spanned from 1968 - 1994, so not only would you get to see the player, Nolan Ryan, evolve on cardboard, but you would get to see the cardboard itself evolve. I'm sure I already have the 1990 - 1993 Topps base cards, but I'll save these just in case. Everything else is up for grabs.


I've always loved this 1994 Stadium Club card of Nolan Ryan showing him tipping his cap as a final farewell to baseball fans and card collectors.


How about you? How is your card area looking these days?

4 comments:

  1. My card area is TOO clean... so I started to build a set from packs (Bog League) and I'm much happier now.
    BTW, every post that doesn't show Groot from here on out will only disappoint me in the future. Things to consider once you get back on the blogging train!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have as much desk area as you. I have only 14 stacks of cards on my desk. However my 6-ft. table is full of stacks of cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! My area is manageable. That's enough to keep me happy. My collection went through an overhaul in April/May. I now know what I have, need and/or want. Enjoy getting reacquainted with your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My office is the cleanest it's been in a long time. It's not stackless... but I'm down to maybe 150 cards that need to be cleared.

    ReplyDelete