Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Baseball's Sad Lexicon

I think I love baseball history more than the current game. I think that's one of the reasons why vintage cards appeal to me so much. 

Even though the Fleer name hasn't been used on a baseball card set since 2007 (wow, has it really been 13+ years?) Fleer typically isn't associated with vintage cards. But as you probably know Fleer produced a Ted Williams set in 1959 and then Baseball Greats sets in 1960 and 1961 as well as a set of current players in 1963 before being shut down by Topps for nearly 20 years.

My goal is to have a small sample of each baseball card set out there. I've been on the lookout recently for some of these early Fleer cards for a while, so when I came across a nice little stack of 1960 Fleer at my local card shop I couldn't help but grab some. The fact that other than being off centered, they are in nice shape, was just an added bonus.

The 1960 Fleer Baseball Greats set, is full of, well...Baseball Greats, like Joe Tinker, Johnny Evers, and Frank Chance. Some say that the reason these three are enshrined in Cooperstown is because of a poem written by Franklin Pierce Adams and published in the New York Evening Mail newspaper on July 12, 1910. The poem was originally titled "That Double Play Again", but has since become known as "Baseball's Sad Lexicon". It goes something like this.

These are the saddest of possible words.
"Tinker to Evers to Chance"
Trio of bear cubs, and fleeter than birds,
Tinker to Evers to Chance.
Ruthlessly pricking our gonfalon bubble,
Making a Giant hit into a double -
Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble
"Tinker to Evers to Chance."


Notice that the back of the Joe Tinker card incorrectly identifies the author of the famous poem as Grantland Rice.


It's a shame that Evers is featured in what appears to be either a Philadelphia or Boston uniform instead of the Cubs.




Frank was not only the first baseman for all those great Cubs teams, but he also managed the Cubs for 6 seasons winning two World Series championships. Do you think we will every see another player/manager in baseball? I doubt it, but I think it would be pretty cool.


In addition to Tinker, Evers, and Chance I added a few other 1960 Fleer Baseball Greats to my collection. 

7 comments:

  1. I just picked up that Tinker at a recent card show. I like the Fleer sets since there are some cards of old legends you don't typically see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are just some great looking cards. Congrats on the pickup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you about loving the history better than the current game. Great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pick ups! The grouchy Judge isn't as legendary as the others but solid all around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Landis has a 'mad as hell and not going to take it anymore' vibe.

    Mel Ott wins the round, representing those other New York Giants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome trio. Interesting that Fleer added RBI to the back of Evers card (with XXX), but not to Tinkers or Chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fantastic. I’d love to add one of two of these to the collection at some point.

    ReplyDelete