Sunday, March 14, 2021

The First Die-Cut Kirby Puckett?

I saw on Twitter that today is Kirby Puckett's birthday. Yesterday I happened to pick up a Puckett card from AZ Sports Cards. I can't remember the last time I bought a Puckett card. I even debated for a while buying this particular card.


I remember these Hot Glove inserts being super popular when they debuted in 1994. They were one of the first die-cut cards out there and were a tough, one per box pull from a premium (expensive) product. 

The only thing I wish they had done differently was use photos of the players in the field rather than at bat since the insert set is called Hot "Gloves".

My question for all of you out there is whether or not there were any earlier die-cut cards out there or were these the first?

5 comments:

  1. These are such special cards. I really need to pick one up. Nothing pops into mind that might have been earlier, but who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1993 sp had die cut inserts - not intricate die cuts but rather just the top of the card

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1888 Scrapps, 1910 American Caramel, 1935 Al Demarre, all very very vintage, then the SP die cuts came about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would the '87 Donruss Pop-Up count as the first die cut Puckett? It was perforated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome insert. The first die cut cards I remember were the SP All-Pro inserts.

    ReplyDelete