Thursday, June 24, 2021

Card Show Pick Up: 1962 Topps 1961 American League Home Run Leaders

I picked up this 1962 Topps card at the card show this past Saturday. I got it from the same dealer that I got the majority of the 1971 Topps cards from, but on a second look through his boxes. I started looking at the oldest stuff, which was T205 and T206 stuff and went up through 1964. I picked out a few cards, but ran out of cash, so I stopped.


With this card commemorating the breaking of the single season home run record which had been held by Babe Ruth for 30+ years, I have come to think of it as a pretty iconic card. I do wish that Topps would have used a better photo of Maris and Mantle though.

This card had a $12 price tag, but I got two other cards at the same time and got a few bucks off, so it was around $10 in the end. Happy to add it to my collection. As a kid I picked up a 1961 Topps Roger Maris card and remember thinking how big of a card that would have been if I had been a kid in 1961 watching Maris and Mantle battle it out that summer and then Maris finally pulling away and breaking the HR record, so this card also pairs nicely with that card.

I need to look for the National League Home Run Leader cards from 1999 and then 2002 and put them with this one. I think that would be pretty cool.

What other cards do you have in your collection that pair with other cards?

3 comments:

  1. Not specific cards, but players: Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich.

    In football, Darryl Stingley and Jack Tatum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say that is the all-time great League Leaders card. Would love to own one someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is so cool... and truly captures a big moment in baseball history. I remember wanting a copy badly back in 1998 when the race was taking place. It didn't happen until over a decade later, but I too add a copy to my collection.

    As for the question about pairs... how about a 1992 Topps Traded (USA Team) card of Nomar Garciaparra and a 1994 Upper Deck World Cup (Team USA) card of Mia Hamm.

    ReplyDelete