Saturday, June 19, 2021

How did you celebrate my 12th blog-o-versary?

What were you doing 12 years ago today? I don't remember everything I did 12 years ago, but apparently I went to a card shop and then I blogged about it. I started this blog 12 years ago. Crazy how time flies.

This blog has been a great resource for me to help me keep track of my collection. I've also met a few fellow collectors/bloggers over the years because of my blog, which has been a lot of fun. I'm not sure how many trades and care packages I've received over the past 12 years because of the blog. Too many to count.

My blogging in 2021 has been spotty at best. This will only be my 37th post this year. I typically average about 175 posts per year, so I am way behind that pace. I hope that changes. 

Well, how did I spend my blog-o-versary?

I went to a card show of course. Then I went to a card shop.

This is the third weekend in a row that I went to a card show. The hobby is still going strong even if we are seeing some dip in prices. I'm okay with that. That's not why I collect.

So what did I get at the card show today?

I have been focusing on finishing up my 1971 Topps set recently and so I was able to grab a few cards I needed. 

I got these 4 from the same dealer that I have bought from before. A couple of months ago I snagged the Nolan Ryan and Roberto Clemente cards I needed for my 1971 Topps set from the same dealer.


You can see that I am not a stickler for condition. For example, there were three other Brooks Robinson cards that I could have gotten that were in better condition, but I gladly took the $4 option. 

With the cards I added today, I am down to needing just 12 cards for the 1971 Topps set. Most of the big names are gone. There are a couple of high numbers, but no short prints, so it is just a matter of tracking them down. I would like to find them locally verses buying them one by one on eBay and paying $4 just for shipping.


My question for you is what did you do today? It's summertime, Juneteenth, and Father's Day weekend. There are a couple of NBA playoff game 7's and baseball is in full force. Maybe you went to a card show or card shop today as well. Let me know.

20 comments:

  1. Let's see, got my second vaccination this morning. (Canada is behind on second doses.)

    Tonight, socially distance gathered with a few friends to watch the Bucks/Nets game 7 on a friend's back patio on an outdoor projected screen. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a great game! Watched it with my boys. We are hoping/expecting the Suns to make it to the Finals and so I was hoping the Nets would advance so there would be the possibility of Steve Nash and Mike D'Antoni, but it should be good regardless.

      Delete
    2. I DID in fact go to a card shop, Valley Sports in Los Angeles, while on vacation. Congrats on twelve years!

      Delete
  2. Went on a nice 8 mile hike in the AM and supported some friends in the evening who had the grand opening to their winery. Good luck on finishing the '71 set and congrats on the 12 year milestone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite the hike. Glad I was not doing that here since it was 115 degrees.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on 12 years! I was at Nets/Bucks Game 7 to celebrate your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was an amazing game. Feel so bad for KD. He gave it everything he had. I was hoping to see a Nets vs. Suns Finals.

      Delete
  4. June 19, 2021? No need to talk about that. I worked ... then came home to deal with my fireworks skittish dog.

    June 19, 2009? Thanks to the wonders of blogging I can tell you exactly what I was doing: posting about how Orel Hershiser signed a picture for me "to Night Owl" https://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2009/06/mr-hershiser-has-heard-of-night-owl.html

    Congrats and congrats on getting so close on the '71 Topps set. That's a feat I can appreciate. That Brewers team card is a bear. Everything else should be no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A. Happy Blog-o-versary!

    B. Yesterday I cleaned my office, sorted some cards, ate lunch with some former students, and brought dinner to my friend and her mom.

    C. On June 19, 2009... I bought a 2001 Stadium Club Tony Parker RC (PSA 10) and 2000 Topps Chrome Zito/Sheets RC (PSA 10) for $5 + $3 shipping on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 12 year blog-aversary! If you're interested, I have the World Series Game 2 card in my Time Travel Trade Project: https://diamond-jesters.blogspot.com/2021/06/time-travel-trading-update-54.html (Any card in the Project is available for an older card in return!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 12th! In celebration, I might be able to knock off one or two of those high numbers if you don't need them to be perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated happy 12th sir! Even if you post occasionally you're still a must read!

    ReplyDelete