Saturday, July 10, 2021

More birthday presents! (1951 Bowman)

I picked up a few other gifts for myself at the card shop with some birthday money. The Batter's Box got a bunch of 1951 and 1952 Bowman's in recently and so I went through and found a couple of 1951's to add to my collection.

You can't think about 1951 without thinking about Bobby Thomson and Ralph Branca.

I figure these will go nicely with the 1952's that I had picked up previous.


1951 and 1952 Bowman are very similar. The only real difference is that the 51's have the name typed on the front and the 52's have the name as a signature. Which do you prefer? 

I think for me I actually prefer the 51's with the name typed on the front, but it really could go either way.

9 comments:

  1. 1951 is my favorite Bowman set. I really regret not adding more to my collection when they were more affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the block lettering, but only because reading signatures can be such a pain sometimes. Great pick ups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't have a preference, they're too similar. I have both the Brancas but, geez, how much money did you have?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer 1952 Bowman. The black box is nice, but can seem out of place. The facsimile signature gives the set a cleaner appearance. But they're both great sets, among my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely prefer the name being readable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I prefer '51 but '52 is growing on me. Probably because I've seen and owned more cards from '51, and I'm still discovering '52 (and '50) Bowman. The Thomson-Branca pairs are fantastic in either set!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like 1951 more if it dodn't reuse the pictures from 1950. There is something wonderfully distinct about 52's artwork too though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So jealous! I prefer the 52's, though at this point, would be content with any of these four cards that I could get.

    ReplyDelete