Tuesday, July 17, 2018

2018 All-Star Game

Yesterday was the Home Run Derby and today is the All-Star game. This is my favorite part of the baseball season. I know many of you probably despise both, but I love it. As a kid growing up without cable, in a market that did not yet have an MLB team, I rarely got to see baseball games on tv, but the All-Star game allowed me to see all of the best players all at once. It was always a special occasion. I would usually get my mom to make hot dogs or nachos, or both and invited a couple of friends over to watch the game. I loved it then and I still love it today.

Paul Goldschmidt had me worried earlier this season when he was batting about .200, but he went on a tear in June and was named to the All-Star team as a reserve. Yesterday it was announced that he will start as the DH for the N.L. squad. I couldn't be happier.

This will be Goldschmidt's 6 consecutive appearance in the mid-summer classic and the most for any Diamondback player. Here is a look at Paul previous All-Star Stitches cards. I will most certainly be picking up his 2018 card.






I'm going to predict an N.L. victory by a score of 6-3 with Goldschmidt being named the MVP after going 2-2 with a home run and a double. What's your prediction?

7 comments:

  1. I don't have a prediction, but this is my single favorite game each year. It's been a tradition to watch it and it's my memories of the All-Star Game that led to one of the biggest parts of my collection: All-Star MVPs. I'm hoping to miss it tonight, though, because that means that my son's team is still alive in his state little league tourney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping for an NL win. Kinda in the same boat as you with the no cable while growing up. Therefore, I was up to date on my NL teams through watching the Cubs, but the All Star Game was the chance to see the AL stars and as a result all the best players in one game. It's still my favorite time of the schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just excited to see Nick Markakis out there in his first All-Star game, finally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pick is the American League winning 5 to 3 with Jose Ramirez winning the MVP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well deserved, dude's still a beast! I didn't realize he had that record but it makes sense now that I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The MLB ASG was one of my favorite things to watch as a kid, so even though it has its issues... I enjoy watching it year in and year out (although I have missed a few over the years). Fun to see all of those long balls yesterday. Before the game, I thought the NL was going to win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ASG usually fell around my dads bday each year and he would always grill up dogs and burgers and we would watch the game together. Lots of good memories. Looking forward to seeing you add the 2018 stitches jersey card.

    ReplyDelete