Sunday, July 15, 2018

The Topps Denny's Han Solo Set

I have fond memories from my youth of the restaurant Denny's offering baseball cards with their meals. They ran this promotion from 1991 - 1997. I have several of the sets and singles from others. Eventually I will have them all.

It's been 20 years since Denny's has done a trading card promotion so when I saw that Denny's was teaming up with Topps and Star Wars to offer Han Solo trading cards I was intrigued. The promotion ran for about two months and ended in June. I only made it to Denny's once during that time. To get a pack of two cards you needed to make a $3 donation to No Kid Hungry. I donated the $3 and the cashier gave me two packs. It might have been because the service wasn't very good or because the promotion was almost over. Maybe it was some other reason, I don't know. Anyways I got 4 cards. I went back a few days later, but I was unaware promotion had ended so when I tried to get another pack of cards I got denied.

So I turned to ebay and picked up a complete set of 12 cards for about $10. The cards came wrapped in paper with all four corners exposed, but luckily they arrived safely. The seller even included two unopened packs.

Here's a look at the cards.







The backs of these six cards fit together to form a larger picture.









Anyone else collect these? If you need any cards for your set, let me know and I'll see if I can help you out.

I hope this was a success and Denny's and Topps might partner together on baseball card projects in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. I saw that Denny's was distributing this set. Unfortunately, I didn't get to make it to a restaurant during the promotion. I may have to go the eBay route to pick up a complete set. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Very cool promotion. I wish Denny's would bring back their grand slam holograms.

    ReplyDelete