Monday, January 25, 2021

Gold Glove or Fielding Bible Award

Can you imagine if baseball cards were only one sided? What a waste that would be? Take this 2018 Topps MLB Awards card of Paul Goldschmidt. The card is for a Fielding Award so it is nice to see a photo of Goldschmidt with his first baseman's glove on. You also get a look at the Los D-Backs uniform. If I had to guess I would say this photo was taken on July 16, 2016 which was Hispanic Heritage day at Chase Field and you can see what looks like a sombrero over Goldschmidt's right shoulder. 20,000 Diamondback branded sombreros were give out at this game. It could have been from a different game, but that would be my guess.


The back of the card tells us about his fielding prowess and how this is his third time winning the award in the last 5 years. There is no mention of what the "fielding award" is so I don't know if it's referencing a Gold Glove or a Fielding Bible Award. Goldschmidt won both Gold Gloves and the Fielding Bible Awards in 2013, 2015, and 2017, so it could be either. I'll be honest, prior to this post, I don't think I knew that the Fielding Bible Awards existed.


How about you? Are you familiar with the Fielding Bible Award?

Oh, and the back of this card also tells us that it is the platinum parallel of this particular card and is serial numbered 1/1.

6 comments:

  1. Always cool to own a 1/1 of a player you collect. As for the Fielding Bible Award... that's new(s) to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice 1/1, and no I hadn't heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JoePo sometimes talks about the Fielding Bible Award. I believe it was started in response to some of the more egregious errors in the Gold Gloves, such as the infamous Rafael Palmiero debacle. That said, I'm pretty sure Topps is referring to the Gold Glove. Apparently they don't have the rights to the term--you'd think that would be part of their deal with MLB, but it isn't. Not quite as bad as the Mascot cards where they have to call the mascot "Mascot", but pretty crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice card, love the graphics. And I am ignorant of the Fielding Bible Award.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I recall, Rawlings owns the copyright to the term "Gold Glove", so Topps is bypassing that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What the heck is a Fielding Bible Award? Look at that....a 1/1!

    ReplyDelete