Thursday, September 2, 2021

Offer Up Purchase: 1982 TCMA Hitters Pitchers Sluggers Sets

On a previous post I mentioned a box of cards I got off of Offer Up. I spent $50 on the box. Let's take a quick look at one of the hand collated sets from the box...or should I say three of the sets.

Here are the 1982 TCMA Greatest Hitters, Pitchers and Sluggers set. Each set is 45 cards. I didn't have any of these cards, so I was happy to find them in the big box and add them to my collection.

Would love to know why there are red and green bordered cards in each set. The Hitters set features 13 red borders and 32 green borders. The Pitchers set contains 15 red borders and 30 green bordered cards. The Sluggers set has 17 red and 28 green. So I get the progression from 13 to 15 to 17 and that adds up to 45, which is probably the number of cards on a printing sheet. But again, why split it that way per set. Anyone have any thoughts?

This isn't a set I was familiar with, so I thought I would share each the front and back of each card.


The design on the front is pretty simple, but I like it. 


The backs are simple as well, but contain a lot of information.









Guys like Joe Page and Wilber Wood are familiar to me, but I don't know that I would consider them one of baseball's greatest pitchers.





How about Wes Ferrel and Frank Lary? Those aren't names that I am very familiar with.














Lots of history represented on these cards.




Do you have any of these sets in your collection? Were these sold in stores or were they only available via mail order? Why are there no card numbers?

A quick look at eBay sold items says that I pretty much got my moneys worth with just these three sets. I spent $50 on a big U-Haul box with a bunch of sets and cards and if I were to buy these 3 sets on eBay, they would have set me back around $50 just by themselves.


Over the next couple of days I'll post some of the other cards from the Offer Up purchase.

8 comments:

  1. I have most of the Dodgers. I don't know the reason why some are red and some are green. My guess is there are no numbers because these were sold as sets through the mail by TCMA. They did that with a number of sets.

    Also, there are perforated versions of at least some of these cards, meaning you could get them as a page, too.

    Cards are a bit flimsy but great subject matter as usual. Wes Ferrel is a typo. (Ferrell). Nice to see them all together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that there are perforated versions as well. They are very thin. Also interesting about Ferrell. Maybe even they weren’t all that familiar with him when he made the cut for the set.

      Delete
    2. As Dime Box Nick pointed out in his great "short-term stops", series, Ferrell is pictured with the Dodgers, with whom he appeared in exactly one game. (I notice that on the back he's listed as an Indian, not a Dodger. Headache for team collectors.)

      Delete
  2. Looks like color photos got a red border, black-and-white photos got a green border. Don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, not sure how I missed the color vs. black and white aspect, but you are correct.

      Delete
  3. This is a nice set. Lots of photos I've never see before, like the Medwick.

    The only card I have from this set is the Willie Keeler Toronto card. Nice to see some other greats in unfamiliar uniforms here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice score. I'm six cards away from finishing these three sets. Need one card from Greatest Sluggers, another two for my Greatest Hitters set build, and three cards for Greatest Hitters set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW I GOT MY DESIRED XMAS LOAN AMOUNT $520,000.00 FROM A RELIABLE AND TRUSTED LOAN COMPANY LAST WEEK. Email for immediate response: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Hello everyone, Am here to testify of how i got my loan from BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE(drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com) I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan to pay bills, start business or build a house, they offer all kinds of loan. So feel free to contact Dr.Benjamin Scarlet Owen he holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly via Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    and consider all your financial problems tackled and solved. Share this to help a soul right now. THANKS

    ReplyDelete