Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Offer Up Purchase: 1986 Donruss Highlights

The recent Offer Up purchase yielded both a 1986 and 1987 Donruss Highlights set. I didn't have either set, so I was really happy to find them in the box.

Today I am going to showcase the 1986 set.

Here is the box.



This note to collectors was in the box as well. I thought this was pretty cool. I will tell you that the 800 number is no longer owned by the Donruss or Leaf company. I called and was offered a special promotional offer of gift cards with my purchase of an auto warranty program. I was really hoping that somehow Betty or Doris was going to answer.


Each card in the set features a different highlight from the 1986 season, including both the A.L. and N.L. Pitcher and Player of the month, April through September. The cards are in chronological order which I think is great.



The Reggie Jackson card features Mickey Mantle, commemorating Jackson passing Mantle on the all-time home run list. I gravitate toward it because I collect Reggie Jackson, but also because it features an award and that is one of my mini collections.





Donruss also gave us 3 cards commemorating the players inducted into the Hall of Fame that year.





Several players have multiple cards in this set. Roger Clemens has 5 cards in the set. Wade Boggs and Don Mattingly each have two cards in the set.



The boxed set included 56 cards including the checklist. A Hank Aaron puzzle card was also included.



57 cards if you include the Hank Aaron puzzle card leaves us with 6 empty spots. Assuming you keep each Pitcher and Player of the month card, which 3 "highlights" would you eliminate from the set to get it down to 54 cards that would fit nicely in 6 pages rather than bleeding over into a 7th?

4 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I learned about Ernie Lombardi and his induction into Cooperstown from seeing this card back in the 80's at my LCS. For being a hall of famer, you don't see too many modern cards of him out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an elegant set concept. Maybe better at 54 or 63 cards but getting all the award winners, highlights, HoF inductees, etc into a single small boxed set is a fantastic timeline of the season. A real shame me that it only existed for 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The plethora of Clemens cards in this set made it one of my favorites growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW I GOT MY DESIRED XMAS LOAN AMOUNT $520,000.00 FROM A RELIABLE AND TRUSTED LOAN COMPANY LAST WEEK. Email for immediate response: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Hello everyone, Am here to testify of how i got my loan from BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE(drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com) I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan to pay bills, start business or build a house, they offer all kinds of loan. So feel free to contact Dr.Benjamin Scarlet Owen he holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly via Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    and consider all your financial problems tackled and solved. Share this to help a soul right now. THANKS

    ReplyDelete