Wednesday, January 1, 2020

100 Pounds - 100 Cards - Card #25

I saw that Don Larsen passed away today, so I thought today would be a good time to share this card as part of my 100 Pounds, 100 Cards posts.

I’ve posted about this card before, but when I was a kid, my parents showed my an article in a Reader’s Digest magazine about Don Larsen. At that point I didn’t know anything about him or his Perfect Game, but I became fascinated with him and his accomplishment. Some time later I begged my parents to take me to a Card Show to get Mickey Mantle’s autograph, but when we got to the show there were no tickets available for the Mick. There were tickets available for Don Larsen though. But I was angry and disappointed about missing out on Mantle, so I just wanted to go home.

So when I saw this card years later I had to pick it up.


My condolences go out to Mr. Larsen’s family.

2 comments:

  1. Last year, I picked up a four pack of Don Larsen signatures... mainly because one of the cards was a 1999 Century Legends Epic Signatures that I needed for the set (that I'll never complete). Anyways... this Finest Moments was one of the cards as well. It's truly sad to seeing all of these sports legends passing away. On the bright side, he lived a very long life. My thoughts are with his family, friends, and with his fans who have supported him over the years.

    ReplyDelete