Friday, July 17, 2020

1973 Topps 9 Card Lot

This post was in my drafts, so I don't actually know when I bought the cards. Last year I bought a collection that included a partial 1973 Topps set, so I'll need to see if I need any of these cards.

I picked up a 9 pocket page of 1973 Topps cards at my LCS auction last week for $1.50. It is a nice lot of semi and minor stars as well as one Hall of Famer.

I really like the 1973 Topps manager/coaches cards. Take a look at this Padres card featuring a nice color head shot of Don Zimmer during his first gig as a manager. Then you get black and white head shots of 4 coaches.


This 1973 Topps Pittsburgh Pirates team card features the 1972 team, which includes Roberto Clemente. I think he is third from the right on the bottom row. Sadly, Clemente would not be alive when this card made its way into packs in 1973.


Here's the Mad Hungarian before he became the Mad Hungarian.


Steve Stone won the 1980 AL Cy Young Award and is currently the color commentator for the White Sox. 


Bert Blyleven was voted into the Hall of Fame in 2011. He has a 287-250 record with a 3.31 ERA. He did, however, strike out 3,701 batters.  As of this card, he only had 587 k's.


Johnnie B. Baker, better known as Dusty, gives us a nice early bat barrel shot on his 1973 Topps card well before becoming a 3-time Manager of the Year.


Tim McCarver played Major League Baseball during 4 decades (1959 - 1980) before spending another 30 years as a broadcaster. 


Grant Jackson played for 6 teams during his 18 year career and was an All-Star in 1969. 


Bobby Grich was a 6 time All-Star and 4 time Gold Glove winning 2nd baseman.  His 22 home runs in the strike shortened 1981 season were tied for the lead in the American League. He is one of just a feew second baseman to have led his league in home runs. 


1 comment:

  1. With the hobby being so popular right now... I'm really impressed with the deals you're finding. I would have picked up this 9-pocket page for $1.50 any day of the week. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete