Thursday, December 10, 2020

$12.95 to $6.97 to $1.00

Over the Thanksgiving weekend my son had a baseball tournament. His team made it to the championship, so they played 5 games over the 3 days (Friday - Sunday). They didn't end up winning the championship, but they played great and ended up with silver rings. 


In between a couple of the games we grabbed some lunch nearby at a place that "happened" to be in the same parking lot as a card shop. It's a card shop I've been to before, but not one of my favorites. 

I know I shouldn't complain about any card shop within driving distance because I know there are several of you out there that don't have one anywhere near you. This shop just doesn't have reasonably priced singles and most of its "wax" is retail that is marked up two or three times the price. What I heard is that the owners daughter works for Wal-Mart and she grabs it for him. I find that super annoying. He owns a card shop and can buy hobby boxes, yet he takes retail off the shelves and out of the hands of collectors only to jack up the price. Okay, I'm done. 

The shop will occasionally have something that is of interest to me. Such was the case on this particular day. I picked up a things for a grand total of $3. First up is this 1990 Score Rising Stars 100 card set.


Not a ton of big names in here by 2020 standards, but there are cards of Ken Griffey Jr., Gary Sheffield, Sammy Sosa, Randy Johnson, and Curt Schilling.


You can see the SRP was $12.95, but the Kmart price tag says $6.97. I paid $1.00.

        

I plan on busting it out and putting it in a binder. I'm curious to see what is in the book. Anyone out these have this set? Did you buy it back in 1990?




8 comments:

  1. I have the 1991 with Tino in it! Fun set, but bulky and takes up space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice grab! Yeah, the wiping out of retail shelves is super annoying and I would harbor that the majority of the people doing it are flippers, not collectors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, have it. Opened and placed the keepers in their PC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to your son. And the business of having your daughter load up on blasters is not cool. That'd be enough for me to boycott that shop (assuming the story is true). As for the set... I've seen it at flea markets before, but never grabbed it. Although if I dug deep enough... I'm sure I've been sent a single or two over the years if there are any A's or Padres in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The two sets that score put out in 1988 (stars and rookies sets)were my introduction to baseball. I have very fond memories of me reading those books cover to cover. Baseball had it claws into me and these books feed my need for knowing who was who in baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I somehow missed all these Score sets back in the day. My guess is that my LCS didn't carry them and they weren't at the retail stores I shopped at. They're kind of cool though I only want specific cards from them now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to your son's team on doing well! My son's travel team was supposed to go to Cooperstown this year but we all know what happened.

    ReplyDelete