Sunday, December 13, 2020

1968 Topps Rod Carew: All Star Rookie Cup

When I bought the two Rose cards at the card shop a few weeks back I bought this 1968 Topps Rod Carew card as well. This one I bought because of the Topps All Star Rookie Cup on the front. For 1968 I wanted either Carew or Seaver. Hopefully some day I will have both, but for now this Carew will do just fine. 

I wish that that card was better centered, but other than that and a few soft corners, the card is in pretty good shape, so it is the fact that it is off centered that allowed me to snag it for $16, which I think is a fair price.


Carew was the A.L. Rookie of the Year in 1967 and beginning in 1967 he would be an all-star for the next 18 straight years. In fact, only in his final year in the big leagues would Carew not find himself a part of the mid-summer classic. Carew led the American League in batting seven times, including 1977 when he batted .388 and not only won the batting title, but also took home the A.L. Most Valuable Player award. I did find it interesting that he never won a Gold Glove award, but I guess when you hit .328 lifetime with 3,053 hits you don't need a gold glove.


Carew played from 1967 to 1985. I didn't start collecting until 1988, so my first recollection of Rod Carew was from the 1991 Bowman set. I got it for Christmas as a kid. The first 5 cards in the set are dedicated to Carew. Carew would also be the subject of the Donruss puzzle that was part of the 1991 Studio set. Makes sense because 1991 was the year that Carew was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.


1 comment:

  1. I hope to add a copy of this card to my collection one day. I've been a fan of high batting averages ever since I started following baseball (which was before I started collecting cards)... so I enjoyed rooting for Carew.

    ReplyDelete