Sunday, February 13, 2022

Congratulations....Dodgers.

I had some time off last week and was able to hit up The Batter's Box card shop during the day on Wednesday. It was packed. I was surprised at how busy it was at around 1 pm on a Wednesday. It's good for the hobby. There were a few people that were browsing and buying, but I noticed a lot of guys come in and grab supplies and leave. I thought that was interesting. They must be getting their cards elsewhere.

I wanted to by some Ultra Pro pages, but they were out of boxes, so I'll have to go back later. Darn. But let's take a look at what I did get.

I saw this and remembered that I had missed out on one about a month before at an auction at the same shop. It sold for around this price so I decided to grab it. I also remembered that when I posted about missing out on the "set" Night Owl mentioned that it probably wasn't a complete set. He was right. This package is just one of 6 packages for this set. From what I can tell, there are 1,095 cards in this set. It goes from 1 - 1,105, but some card numbers were never issued, so there are "just" 1,095 cards.


I believe this package contains 18 sheets. With 15 cards per sheet, that means there are 270 cards in this package. There are 6 different packages and they don't all contain the same amount of sheets and cards.

These are plentiful on eBay, but they are going to be around $15-$20 per package when you figure in shipping. With e needing 5 more packages that means another $75 - $100 for....Dodgers cards. Yikes! I think I'll just wait to see if I can come across any more of these locally for around the price I paid for this one. That would put the set in the $50 range, which I would be okay with. That's about a nickel a card. I can live with that.

I know there are quite a few Dodgers collectors out there. I know some of you have this set or are working on it. How are you viewing/storing this set. Do you keep the sheets intact or have you separated the cards out? Since the cards are slightly smaller than a normal card, if you are separating them, how are you displaying them?

5 comments:

  1. I don't own any of these... nor am I seeking them, but if I did eventually buy them... I'd keep them intact. Actually... I'd probably want two sets. One for a binder, the other to keep in sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cards in my set are both in panels and have been separated. I don't know how to store them, which is why I haven't bothered trying to get the rest of them (the highest-numbered cards are difficult to find). I believe gcrl has the whole set, he'd be the best guy to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of Dodgers, I've got a '73 Wes Parker for you! I recently picked up a huge lot of Dodgers cards, let me know if you have any other Dodgers you might be interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since they won't ever go up drastically in value, I'd probably just separate them and put them in pages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice pickup! i do have this complete set. i kept the sheets together and they are in 9x12 plastic pages that i found at one of my old jobs. i have a few singles in some of my other collections, but the full set is altogether in the original sheets. that is definitely the way to build the set as opposed to trying to find singles, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete