Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Ice Cream and a History Lesson

When I bought the 2001 Topps American Pie Gary Carter card off eBay to complete my set I utilized the seller's Buy 2, Get 1 Free deal and grabbed these two cards.


A 2002 Topps Nestle Ice Cream Mike Piazza card. I didn't check to see if I already had this before I bought it. I figured if I didn't already have it for my Piazza collection I would need it for the Nestle set for my oddball collection. Turns out I didn't have it in my Piazza collection, so it went in one of the binders I have for that.

The Charles Goodyear Allen & Ginter card is from 2009. I live in Goodyear, AZ so I have a very small Goodyear collection. The Reds and the Guardians (wow, that was weird to say) have the Spring Training homes in Goodyear, so that is mostly where the cards come from. I thought this would be a nice addition to that. Goodyear, AZ was named Goodyear because the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company purchased 16,000 acres of land here to grow cotton to reinforce their tires. Goodyear actually became a town in 1946.

Did you know that about Goodyear? Probably not. Do you care? Probably not. But I live here and so I thought it would be cool to add this card to my small Goodyear collection.

3 comments:

  1. Heard of Goodyear, but didn't know he had a card or any of the history you mentioned. Do I care? Sure. I like learning about stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know about the Goodyear connection - interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about it either, but like Bo and Fuji, did find it to be interesting.

    ReplyDelete