Sunday, January 21, 2018

What's a Larry bird?

When I was a kid we were playing a game where you had to describe the name/phrase without saying any part of the word(s) and try to get your teammates to guess what you were describing. My grandmother got stuck on one when the time ran out. She frantically asked the group, "What's a Larry bird?"

She had no idea who Larry Bird was and thought it was a type of fowl that she'd never heard of before. Everyone else got a good laugh.

Now every time I see or hear Larry Bird, I think of that story.

I recently came across a Larry Bird baseball card. Yes, you heard correctly...a Larry Bird baseball card. It's a promo card from 1994 Ted Williams featuring Bird playing baseball at Indiana State.


I also got these two other promo cards from the 1994 Ted Williams set.


 
These came from a 15/$1 box and I picked up 6 of each, so if you're interested in any of these let me know. 

6 comments:

  1. The back of Larry's card is quite interesting ... an amusing. I think Larry chose the correct sport. LOL
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, cool card! I never knew....I wonder how common two-sport players are these days in college? I wonder if we'll ever see a Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders again.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be interested in one of the Larry Bird cards. I have been a huge fan of his since I was a kid and I player collect him. My email is tim(underscore)gretchen(underscore)marriage AT yahoo.com

    Thanks, Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ted Williams' sets were high quality with great player selection. they look nice in a binder too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel, nice pick-ups, and I'm sure I know where you got them. Could I get a set of them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool. Big fan of the Ted Williams trading card company sets from the 90's.

    ReplyDelete