Friday, September 4, 2020

Oddball Food Issue - 2001 Oreo/Ritz

I love oddball food issue cards. Some of my earliest card related memories are of the 1989 Topps Cap'n Crunch cards. I also have a lot of fond memories of walking to a Hostess store during the summer of 1993 with friends and collecting trying to put together that set. On family road trips as a kid, I would always lobby for meals at Denny's so that I could add cards to my collection.

I prefer the oddball food cards that I have that personal connection to from my youth, but I enjoy them all.

Over the next few posts, lets take a look at some different food and other oddball cards that I have come across as I am organizing my collection, including multiple sets from a few different collections that I bought last year.

2001 Oreo/Ritz

This four card set of Fleer cards was available in packages of Oreos and Ritz crackers leading up to the 2001 All-Star game. There are two cards of Derek Jeter and two cards of Ken Griffey Jr.


Best thing about these cards are that their height and weight are measured on the back of the cards in Oreos and Ritz crackers. Both Jeter and Griffey are 6'3", I mean 150 Oreos or 321 Ritz crackers tall. Jeter weighs 195 lbs, which is the equivalent of 25,740 Ritz or 7,956 Oreos. Griffey is listed as 10 pounds heavier and weighs 27,060 Ritz or 8,364 Oreos.


Over the years and in various countries there have been over 80 different varieties of Oreos. Most come out for a limited time and a good portion of the 80 where available overseas only. I've tried different ones and have enjoyed them all, but I don't have any that really send out. I'll stick with Double Stuff all day long. What's your favorite Oreo flavor?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, Double Stuf is the bomb. Sadly they don't sell them in Singapore anymore, and when I'm in the States I put packaged cookies on my no-fly list as I try to have some semblance of a healthy diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take regular Oreos any day. Perfect cookie to filling ratio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It depends on my mood, but I probably buy the regular Oreo and the golden Oreos the most often (once or twice a year... if they're on sale). My friend's daughter and son recently made me some cookies. They found a recipe where you take chocolate chip cookie dough and wrap it around an Oreo, then bake it. It didn't sound very appetizing, but it ended up being pretty darn tasty warmed up. I just wish I had some vanilla ice cream laying around.

    P.S. Cool cards. With four cards it seems like it's a manageable set build.

    ReplyDelete