Tuesday, June 7, 2022

1962 NL Home Run Leaders and all of Hank Aaron's League Leader Cards

Similar to my post yesterday with all of the base cards from Hank Aaron's career, today I am featuring all of his League Leader cards.

Shortly after I picked up the 1957 Topps to complete the base run, I was able to get this 1963 Topps 1962 NL Home Run Leaders card off eBay for under $20 delivered. This was the last League Leader card featuring Hank Aaron that I needed.

This card features five Hall of Famers on it. I could be wrong, but I haven't been able to come across any other card that features more Hall of Famers on it than this one.


Hank was second in home runs in the National League in 1962 behind Willie Mays. The back also lists Grand Slams from the 1962 season, which I think is pretty interesting. Hank Aaron tops that list along with Frank Robinson with 3.


Here are all of the League Leader cards that Hank Aaron appeared on during his playing career. There are 15 in total between 1961 and 1972. Twice (1964 and 1967) Aaron appeared on all three (Batting Average, R.B.I, and Home Runs) and three times (1962, 1968 and 1972) he would grace two of the three.


In addition to seeing Hank Aaron on these cards, there are a plethora of other stars that can be found; including, Ernie Banks, Eddie Mathews, Stan Musial, Roberto Clemente, and Willie Mays among others.

These League Leader cards were a fun and affordable way to get additional Hank Aaron playing era cards in my collection and get enjoy some of the other all-time greats of the game.

5 comments:

  1. Great stuff. I have about a third of those, and that (all of Aaron's leaders cards) might be a more realistic goal for me than his base run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that league leader card is pretty incredible. There's "only" 2,892 major league home runs represented there! Congrats on completing the run of Aaron's base AND leader cards--wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Five hall of fame floating heads on one vintage card. LL cards don't get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vintage league leader cards are great. #6 on that HR list is Frank Thomas of the Mets. He had a heck of a year for the worst team in baseball history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you planning on doing anyone else now that Hank is done?

    ReplyDelete